"There will be a day when you can no longer do this. Today is not that day."

Don't know where it came from originally, but it's one hell of a motivator.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sixth Race!

The Dash For Darfur: What can I say about this race?

I normally enjoy the race environment when there are hundreds of people all excited to be out and running and possibly helping a charity.  This one was organized by a student coalition against the genocide in Darfur.  While I'm happy to support the cause, since there were so few people at this event, I think they spent about a quarter of what they raised on the top prizes for the race (not that I'm complaining, as I'm sipping the iced caramel macchiato I got with the gift certificate I won for getting 3rd place).

1. This was a very small, very organized event.
2. The course was a bit longer than 5K (3.17 mi.)
3. The race started almost a half hour late which REALLY matters when the temperature is rising.
4. Only 26 people registered (and I think less ran).
5. 4 of the runners (if you can call them that) were jackass frat boys who A) were likely hung over, B) were jackasses, and C) tried to cheat.
6. Almost puked at the finish.  Remind me not to run in the heat anymore.

7. No matter how many people were running or who was there, I was still able to run my race and kept a PR pace.  Came in 3rd because of it.

This was my 3rd hard run day in a row.  8 miles on Friday, 5K trail race yesterday, then this 5K today.  SO EXCITED for a rest day tomorrow!  Then it'll be time to get pumped for my first 10K next weekend!

Race #: 6
Distance: 3.17 mi.
Type: Road
Bib #: No bib, #9
Time: 23:10
Pace: 7:19/mi
Place: 3/26

Next Race: 5/2/10: Tucson Heart Group Cinco de Mayo 10K!

No comments:

Post a Comment