"There will be a day when you can no longer do this. Today is not that day."

Don't know where it came from originally, but it's one hell of a motivator.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Rocky 4 Style Training at the Grand Canyon

This past week I had what I like to call my Rocky 4 wilderness training week.  I went up to the Grand Canyon for work (conserving historic river running boats with the NPS) and since we were staying so close to the South Rim I decided I'd keep up my training by running along the rim.  The weather was pretty unpredictable so I also got a temporary membership to the local Rec Center.  This week was going to be a challenge for me since I've never run in the cold and the Grand Canyon elevation is 6500 feet higher above sea level than Tucson.  But once I got out on the trail it felt amazing and I don't think it was a coincidence that although I have 64 songs in my Running Playlist, everytime I ran on that train both Eye of The Tiger and Hearts On Fire came on and pumped me up!

Day 1, Monday, 6:00am, 3.1 miles: Woke up early and since I was a little intimidated by the weather and the elevation so I made my way to the Rec Center.  Ran my usual 5K but the elevation was pretty effective at slowing my pace.

Day 1, Monday, 6:00pm, 3.1 miles: Was feeling good after my first day of work so I went back to the treadmill at the Rec and decided to switch it up by running intervals for 5K.

Day 2, Tuesday, 5:00pm, 2 miles: Took a short 2 mile hike (1 mile in, 1 mile out) for a picnic at sunset at Shoshone Point.  Check out the pics!

Day 3, Wednesday, 6:00am, 3.45 miles: Decided to bite the bullet and take off on a sunrise run along the South Rim.  It was unbelievable!  It was cold but invigorating and the glory of the sunrise made every step worth it.  Check out how happy I am after the run!

Day 4, Thursday, 12:15pm, 2.25 miles: I didn't make it for a sunrise run so I tried to sneak in a bit of a lunchtime run at the Rec Center.  Was able to get in 2.25 miles before I had to get back to work.


Day 4, Thursday, 5:30pm, 3.45 miles: Since it was beyond freezing in the morning, I decided to postpone my run for the sunset.  I went out to the same place that I watched the sunrise the morning before and was treated to amazing blues and purples of the Canyon at twilight.

Day 5, Friday, 6:00am, 3.45 miles: On my last available morning, I made the sunrise run again.  Just as amazing as the first time.  A bunch of runners out this morning.  I tried to keep pace with a Marine on the way back but he was just too strong of a runner for me!

This turned out to be an incredible trip, both professionally and for my training.  While the runs were tough, they certainly helped me gain perspective on what it's like to run in a different environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment