"There will be a day when you can no longer do this. Today is not that day."

Don't know where it came from originally, but it's one hell of a motivator.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Third Race!

A few months ago, my DM buddy Dave S. told me that he was registered for both the Catalina Trail Run and the Race For The Cure.  Two races in two days.  I told him he was loco.  He is.  But apparently, so am I.  I've been running some fast (for me) 10Ks so I made a decision.  I am going to run in any race for which I've already run the distance more than 3 times.  This 5.2 miler fell into that category so I said "screw it" and signed up.  Looks like tomorrow's 5K is going to be a recovery run!

Anyway, on to today's race: The Catalina State Park 5.2 and 10.35 Mile Trail Run!

The morning started off with a bummer.  I got a speeding ticket on my way to the race. Although it sucks, I guess it was comforting to know that I really had speed on my mind.

The race itself was FANTASTIC!  I made a new running buddy, Lorinda from Calgary, and got to race with some other great people.  This is probably the most fun I've had running yet!  I loved the variety of terrain on the trail. The trails and mountains were probably beautiful although I didn't see much of it since my head was down the majority of the time making sure I didn't land on any of those ankle-breaking rocks. We ran across a few washes still streaming with water (awesome) and through long patches of soft sand (slightly less awesome), and up two big sections of stairs (92 and 48; a bit less awesome). I felt like I was moving pretty fast and felt AMAZING when it finished.

I don't know exactly where I placed since they kind of screwed up the placing. I'll edit this when the post the final results.

Race #: 3
Distance: 5.2 miles
Bib #: 457
Time: 47:22 (official time: 45:52)
Pace: 9:06 min./mi. (official pace: 8:44 min./mi.)
Place: 37/337 (AG 6/20)

Made some new running friends and learned a lot about what I really enjoy about running. I'm definitely hooked on trail runs now!


Next Race: April 11 (tomorrow!): Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure

No comments:

Post a Comment