"There will be a day when you can no longer do this. Today is not that day."

Don't know where it came from originally, but it's one hell of a motivator.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Upgrading my running acumen...


I learned a few important things about running today. Thou shalt not discount the following factors during a run:
1. RACE DAY ADRENALINE: In yesterday's race, I was so pumped that my pace (probably around 7:00/mi) was pretty damn fast for the first 2 1/4 miles. Today I settled into a slower pace for the majority of the run.
2. RUNNING WITH A PACK: I thoroughly enjoyed doing this in the race yesterday. I was able to keep up a pretty fast pace by focusing on staying with a few key runners and allowing them to push me and motivate me.
3. WIND: SUCKS. The wind this morning was pretty wicked and kept my pace in check. It made quite a few of the sections very rough this morning.
4. KNOWING THE COURSE: There is no replacement for knowing where you're going and what's coming up next. Even though I ran slower today, I felt much more comfortable on the course.
So why did I run slower today? Was it due to the first 3 factors (no race day adrenaline, not running with a pack, major wind)? Was it because I haven't done a lot of morning running? Or was it that I just plain old ran slower? I guess we'll have to experiment a little more.
Either way, I really like this neighborhood course and and will make it my major training course...until I can find another. I even like the couple hills. Although that one on Bilby up to Metropolitan towards the end of the run is pretty tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment