"There will be a day when you can no longer do this. Today is not that day."

Don't know where it came from originally, but it's one hell of a motivator.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Cross Training

Training for one's first 5K can be tough.  That's a hell of a lot of running, especially for someone like me who is not used to running.  High impact indeed!  My feet and knees were very, very angry after the first few runs.  Now, some people say that the only way to really get better at running is to run...and run...and run.  Others suggest cross training to alleviate the impact on the legs and work different muscle groups.  Since I've never been much of a runner, I figured cross training would be a fun way to get ready for the 5K.

1. Gym: I'm not sure if running on a treadmill can be considered cross training but it's a bit less impact than running outside.  Cardio on the elliptical or stationary bike and various weight training routines are definitely cross training.

2. Cycling: When I moved back to Tucson, I began to bike as much as I could.  I biked around town, to and from work and the gym, and even went mountain biking.  This will certainly help when I race in my first triathlon!

3. Yoga: I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed my yoga classes.  I haven't been able to go every week but even after only 4 classes I can see an increase in flexibility.  This really helps during my pre and post run stretches.

4. Rock climbing: Started doing some indoor rock climbing at Rocks and Ropes.  This really works out a lot of the muscles in the body.  I am REALLY enjoying using this to cross train.  If it weren't so expensive I'd do it more often!

5. Swimming: Once it gets a little warmer out I'll jump into the pool and start doing laps.  Not only is the VERY LOW impact and good for endurance and upper body work outs but I'll need to get some good swimming practice in for the triathlon in July!

1 comment:

  1. Let me know when you're gonna get into the pool and I'll send you some workouts. Don't worry, I'll be moderately tough on you, until I figure out what level you're at...then I'll be mean.

    ReplyDelete