"There will be a day when you can no longer do this. Today is not that day."

Don't know where it came from originally, but it's one hell of a motivator.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

New Fitness Goals and Abridged Training Summary

After completing some pretty heavy health and fitness goals, I decided to put my new fit and healthy lifestyle to the test.

5K: A few goals associated with this first step.  I was never much of a runner so even though I was more fit and stronger than I had ever been, running still did not come to me very easily.  I didn't know how long it would take me to actually prepare myself for a 5K but I decided to register for the first upcoming race.  I gave myself one month.

5K Goal 1: Finish 5K at 10:00/mi pace.  Finished? Yup! I was able to complete this the first time I ran.  However, I wasn't able to run the whole way.  


5K Goal 2: Run the whole 5K distance.  Finished?  Hell yeah!  2 weeks after beginning my training I tore up the course.  Ran 3.5 miles in under 29 minutes without stopping.  Just under a 8.5 min/mi pace.


5K Goal 3: First Distance Run: Finished?  Definitely!  2 days after completely running my first 5K (see #2) I ran 7 miles without walking in 1:08:00.


5K Goal 4: 8 min/mi pace: Finished?  YES!  2 days after my first long run (see #3) I ran 3.85 miles in about 31 minutes...a pace of 7:55 min/mi.

5K Goal 5: Run a 5K race at under 8 min/mi.  Finished?  Not yet.  First actual race is in 1 week!


The goals don't stop with 5Ks.  Check out my 2010 race schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment