"There will be a day when you can no longer do this. Today is not that day."

Don't know where it came from originally, but it's one hell of a motivator.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Original Fitness and Health Goals

So, in January 2009, I hit a pretty miserable milestone.  I was 235 pounds.  Clearly overweight, and decidedly unhealthy.  While so many factors in my life potentially aided in gaining so much weight and living so unhealthy, I really only have myself to blame for letting it get so out of hand.  I decided then that I had to do something about it.  I made some goals and although it took over a year, I finally reached them.

Health and Fitness Goals:

1. Weight loss: My BMI on Day 1 was 32.8.  According to the BMI index, that classified me as obese.  Normal weight for my height (5'11") was below 180 and I badly wanted to reach that.  Finished?  Hell yeah!  Broke 180 in January 2010.  New Goal: 165 pounds (BMI 23.0, right in the middle of normal range)  Finished?  Almost!  168 as of 3/6/10.

2. Eat Healthier: A big reason that I got so heavy was my really horrible eating habits.  I ate fast food...a lot.  And my food portions were just over the top.  Finished?  Definitely!  I tried to do it on my own for almost a whole year before realizing that I needed help.  So I started the South Beach Diet in December '09 and used its plan to learn about healthy eating.  I quit drinking and eating fast food.  I shop local and organic and cook everyday!

3. Exercise A LOT MORE!  Finished?  For sure!  Joined Gold's in Tallahassee to start getting in shape.  Joined Gold's in Tucson when I moved.  Got a free PT session and used his advice to create a customized cardio and strength training routine.  Shortly after moving to Tucson, I bought a bike and have been riding it like crazy.  I was never much of a cyclist but I am learning to LOVE it.  I bike around town, to and from work, and recently went mountain biking for the first time.

In December '09, my friend and I started our own little "Biggest Loser" competition.  The person to lose the largest weight percentage by the end of January would win.  Both of us were trying to lose weight so this was a perfect motivation!  My starting weight was 190 pounds.  Our weigh-in on January 31 showed that I had lost 18 pounds giving me a 9.5% weight loss, the victory, and taking me below my 180 weight goal!

It was about a week after the weigh-in that I realized that my new fit and healthy lifestyle needed to be put to the test.  At that moment I made some new fitness goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment